HAVE YOU BEEN IN THE UNITED STATES FOR 4 YEARS OR LESS?
We are a small vibrant multicultural community (over 50 nationalities and 40 languages spoken) serving students who are new learners of English. Our teachers work in teams to create challenging interdisciplinary curricula and provide mastery-based skills and knowledge necessary for success in careers and higher education. Students receive personal attention from teachers and we have a counselor available per 75 students. Students work collaboratively on hands-on projects to support one another's linguistic and academic growth. Students present Portfolios as a requirement for graduation. We have a 1 to 1 iPad program incorporating 21st century skills into the curriculum. MIHS has been recognized as an Apple Distinguished School.
What We Offer:
- Students complete Performance-Based Assessment Tasks (PBATs) as a replacement for some Regents Exams, and graduate with a Regents diploma.
- College Now Course offerings for free college credits: CUNY College Now (Hunter, John Jay, BMCC, Hostos); BMCC onsite College Introduction Class
- Blended Learning Environment: 1 to 1 iPad program, DOE Computer Science for All Initiative- Software Engineering Program (SEP), Code Nation, Beam Center (Engineering) and Mouse Club
- Communications Class: Speechwriting and Public Speaking
- AP French, AP Spanish Exam
- Participatory School Budgeting Committee
- Mount Sinai Student Health Center (in the building)
- Student & Parent Orientation
- Online Grading System
- Saturday Programs
- Career Readiness Activities and College Trips
- Online Learning Platforms: Reading Plus, Rosetta Stone, Learning Upgrades...
Clubs: Art, Book, Cooking, French, Chinese, NYPD Explorers, Photo/ Video, Restorative Justice, Theater, Student Government, Mouse Tech and Yearbook
After-School: Tutoring, Big Brother/ Big Sister, Computer Lab, SAT, Fitness, Student Leadership, and on-site YMCA (Rowe Scholars, Community Service, Internships, Learn to Earn, Y Swear, Swimming, Biking). Saturday Academy: Literacy Program, Regents, and Math Tutoring
Arts Program: Theater and Visual Arts
Summer: John Jay Upward Bound